Welcome To The Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse
Thank you for your interest in the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse. During the summer of 2014, Phase One of our tower restoration was concluded. The lantern room was removed from the tower so that brickwork at the top of the tower could be completed. While the lantern room was on the ground, we took the opportunity to restore it as well. Due to the generosity of a private donor, a replica lens was purchased and placed in the tower. The lens was dedicated to John Ochs and Benjamin O’Brien, two founding members of the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society. The Lighthouse is Certified by the United States Coast Guard as a Secondary Aid to Navigation. The lens is automated to go on at dusk and off at dawn.
Lighthouse is CLOSED for the Season
It will REOPEN for the Season
on Friday, April 3, 2020
Tours every Friday, Saturday & Sunday During the Season
1:00 pm till 5:00 pm (Last tower tour will start at 4:30 pm)
Special Tours during the off season or Off Hours can be scheduled by calling the Lighthouse at 585.621.6179 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Special Tours during the Winter Months may be limited because of weather condition especially ice on the steps in the Lighthouse Tour.
ANNUAL CHRISTMAS SALE
SATURDAY, DECEMBER 7 & SUNDAY, DECEMBER 8, 2019;
1:00 PM till 5:00 PM
MORE INFORMATION COMING SOON
OUR NEWEST DISPLAYS
- The LOCK-UPS of Charlotte. Learn the difference between a Lock-up & a Jail.
(just a sample of what you will see)
2. Saving Lives on Lake Ontario…The Government Agencies of Charlotte! The U.S. Lighthouse Service, U.S. Revenue Cutter Service, U.S. Life Saving Service, and the U.S Coast Guard Service.
Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse is now listed as one of the 2019 Top 3 Landmarks in Rochester, NY. Click on the image and it will take you to more information about the Award given to us by “Three Best Rated”
WANT TO HELP!
HELP US KEEP THE FACILITIES AND ORGANIZATION RUNNING. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING PLEASE CONTACT US AT OUR EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com :
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED, TRAINING PROVIDED WHERE NEEDED:
- Bookkeeper needed to input data & recording keeping
- Guides to give tours of our Museum & Tower
- Cashier willing to learn operation of cash register & credit card machine
- Help plan & maintain the grounds
- Gardeners needed on a regular basis
- Maintenance in the Keeper’s house, tower & other structures on the property
- Short jobs requiring plumbing & electrical experience
- Pop-up tents, 10 x 10 feet or larger
- Storage Boxes, acid-free, for archival materials (assorted sizes)
- Saber saw & blades, electric cord preferred
- Reciprocating saw/blades, electric cord preferred
- Heat gun, electric for removal of paint
- Printer: color laser printer, two sided printing
- Skill Saw, 7 1/2″ round blade
- Refrigerator with freezer, small size
There are new displays both inside and outside the museum.
In Season Hours of Operation:
Friday, Saturday & Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Open April 3, 2020 till November 1, 2020 The last Tour of the Tower is at 4:30 pm. Tours throughout the afternoon and no reservations required except for LARGE groups.
Donate to The Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society
Become a member of the Charlotte-Genesee Lighthouse Historical Society and help preserve and interpret America’s oldest surviving lighthouse on Lake Ontario for thousands of visitors who come to explore our site each year.
Donate now and help us carry forward the mission of the Lighthouse Society